Free Activities #1:Jigsaw Puzzles

I'm a big advocate for finding free hobbies that consume your mind for a few hours. Personally I have always loved completing jigsaw puzzles. I love sorting out the pieces into colours and the element of  problem solving is very satisfying, and clicking that final piece into place is cathartic to say the least. 


So how can you get jigsaws for free (or very cheap?) 

Yes, jigsaws are extremely expensive when you buy them new, so don't do that! You can pick up jigsaws for £1 from the right charity shops (not all are that cheap and some charity shops over-price them, but they can be found). I've only had one puzzle from a charity shop which had pieces missing (I'll never forgive or forget) but the pieces were loose in the box so I should have known better. If my experience is anything to go by, I'd suggest only buying puzzles when the jigsaw is sealed in a bag. Also get the word out there. Once people know you like puzzles you'll be inundated with stacks of them. I told a relative I liked jigsaws and I've since received over 20! Once completed I donate them to my local charity shop, but if someone told me they liked puzzles I'd be sure to pass them on. 


The main reason I love jigsaw puzzles is because you can get lost in your own world whilst sorting the pieces. Pick a cold or rainy day, pop on a podcast or audio book (or if you're like me the BBC News channel) and 3 hours will be gone before you know it. 


I am very territorial over my puzzles and thankfully I'm the only one in the house who enjoys them. But I do know many people who have a communal puzzle. The puzzle is left in a high-traffic area and everyone puts a few pieces in as they're passing. We once had a communal jigsaw in a work's canteen and a shared crossword puzzles (but it was always annoying when someone put the wrong word in; once for the clue 'spot' the answer was 'dot' and not 'zit' as someone pencilled in with a biro. 


There's nothing quite like finishing a puzzle. If you're a puzzler tell me what you do once it's completed? You know it, run your hand over it to feel how smooth it is, it has to be done! 

Best wishes until next time, Becky xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction: Who am I and What is this Blog all about?

Vegan Recipe: Frugal Oat-so-Simple inspired Porridge